Monday, January 30, 2012

2012 Movies to watch: Part 1

There are so many movies coming out this year that I’m excited about. Some I have been following the production on for ages and some I’ve only just found out about. I really want everyone to see them and so I’ve decided to go through a few of my favourites and why they appeal to me. I’ve decided to leave off the Oscar nominated ones as I feel they have enough hype attached to them already. I’ve attempted to order them in order of release date but unfortunately not all have be scheduled for release in South Africa yet and so I then turn to the US or another international release date. Where possible I will provide a link to the trailer so that you are able to find out a bit more.

We Need To Talk About Kevin (out)



The trailer doesn’t tell you much about the movie but there isn’t really much more to know than the basic synopsis of the movie. Tilda Swinton plays the mother to Ezra Miller’s Kevin who mass murders his classmates. This film is all about her dealing with her grief and guilt over her possible input. Aside from the chilling premise of the film I am immediately drawn to this film by the mere presence of Swinton, who has been receiving great praise for this role. This is quite a serious film and may take me a bit longer to get around to seeing as you do have to be in the right state of mind.

Martha Marcy May Marlene (out)



Widely promoted as the introduction of another, better, Olsen sister this film appears to hold much more than just that. Elizabeth Olsen plays the title character a young woman who has recently escaped from a cult and moved back in with her older sister. We see both what she went through in the cult and how she is dealing with it now. Again quite a dark film but very interesting to see how the human psyche copes in the face of fear that has already scored 5 stars under quite a few reviews. What I really want to know is who Marlene is?

Underworld: Awakening (out)



Although the fourth Underworld film to be made it is considered the third of the Selene trilogy. Kate Beckinsale is back and this time the humans know about vampires. I like to think this is not just another vampire movie, as the original came out almost 10 years ago, I only hope that it proves me wrong. As well as the human element there is also the introduction of Eve, Selene and Michael’s hybrid child. This means that as well as saving her kind, Selene will now have someone else to protect. I’m very interested to see what they do with the story line and how it plays out in the end.

Safe House (SA: 10/02)



It was filmed in and is set in Cape Town, do I really need a better reason to see it. Ok then well add the cast of Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds, Vera Farmiga and Brendon Gleeson. I think even if I didn’t have a basic idea of the story line from the trailer I would want to see it. I have seen the trailer though and so I really want to watch it.

Wanderlust (24/02)



This is probably one of my least anticipated movies on this list but I want to see it as it looks like a cute story and it has Paul Rudd. There’s something about him where it doesn’t matter how shitty the movie is his character is always enjoyable. There are some parts which could be a bit off the wall or reaching but overall maybe that’ll be what makes it a bit different from your typical run of the mill rom-com.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also keen for all of these, as well as the Hunger Games... It's a good year for movies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry I still have loads more, just putting 5 up at a time!

    ReplyDelete